I feel like my question is very naive too, so naive questions are
welcome. :)

I ran "script/server" one time and it didn't have any effect. Because
I'm trying to get this working on a shared server environment, it's
setup so that the rails server is always running. Because it's shared
hosting I don't really have any control over what mode the server is
running in. It's probably always in production mode and I tried
scraping the production db and even though that ran successfully I was
still unable to get to the admin pages.