Yes, you do need ffmpeg installed - RC2 will simply not boot without
it, in my (admittedly limited) experience with RC2, so this
requirement has been met already in my dev and production servers.

The issue I can see is that radiant was looking for a ruby file in the
local project directory when it should have been looking in the gem
directory (which is where I found it). The fact that this occurred on
3 systems (2 OSX/Lion, one Ubuntu 10.4) suggests to me that something
is quirky in the install process, but it's entirely possible that I
screwed up 3 separate times too :)

As you say though, this is an older build and is about to be replaced
- a very valid point.

Any ideas if upgrading to RC3 will cause significant issues from RC2?
I don't really have the luxury of time to debug tons of issues (as I
have already ported this app from 0.9 and used up a lot of my budget
in that exercise).
If it is a clean upgrade path and has significant performance benefits
over RC2 it will be worth it, otherwise it will be a difficult
decision to make, even if I do enjoy running the latest and greatest
(and as annoying as bugs are, solving problems is fun too!)

Thanks for your reply, your advice was welcome!