On 14 Sep 2011, at 19:11, James Martens wrote:

> Yes, you do need ffmpeg installed - RC2 will simply not boot without
> it, in my (admittedly limited) experience with RC2, so this
> requirement has been met already in my dev and production servers.
>
> The issue I can see is that radiant was looking for a ruby file in the
> local project directory when it should have been looking in the gem
> directory (which is where I found it). The fact that this occurred on
> 3 systems (2 OSX/Lion, one Ubuntu 10.4) suggests to me that something
> is quirky in the install process, but it's entirely possible that I
> screwed up 3 separate times too :)
>
> As you say though, this is an older build and is about to be replaced
> - a very valid point.
>
> Any ideas if upgrading to RC3 will cause significant issues from RC2?
> I don't really have the luxury of time to debug tons of issues (as I
> have already ported this app from 0.9 and used up a lot of my budget
> in that exercise).
> If it is a clean upgrade path and has significant performance benefits
> over RC2 it will be worth it, otherwise it will be a difficult
> decision to make, even if I do enjoy running the latest and greatest
> (and as annoying as bugs are, solving problems is fun too!)

RC3 is architecturally much more up to date than RC2, makes proper use of
Bundler and prefers to handle everything as gem dependencies. There is nothing
vendored and while we've taken a lot of care to be backward compatible with
older installations, the new model is much cleaner and easier to manage.

There is some unavoidable manual work in changing config.gem lines in
environment.rb to gem lines in the Gemfile but otherwise you should find that
it is a drop-in replacement for RC2, and a lot of what was new in that release
is now quite mature, especially the asset manager.

It does depend how much customising you've done, though. There are migrations
and updates that might be complicated by local changes. I would say it was
definitely worth giving it a go, and that it will probably just work. But I
always think that. Please let me know when it doesn't.

best,

will