pfarrell;483300 Wrote:
> jmpage2 wrote:
> > davenva;483250 Wrote:
> >> I'm worried about oversleeping due to a server problem or a network
> >> problem. I'm not sure if I should be, but after the Timezone
> problem, I
> >> am.
>
> > I think you're being a bit too critical here.  Basically the
> Squeezebox
> > is a computer.  It gets its time from either the server or the
> internet
> > via NTP.
> >
> > For you to get the functionality you request would require the
> ability
> > to manually set the clock on the device (like your $5 alarm clock)
> and
>
> I'm just guessing, but isn't it easier than this? Davenva probably
> needs
> the battery pack from the accessories kit to keep the clocks running no
> matter what. But with that, unless the server gets its time completely
> fubar, isn't the clock in the Radio local? driven from the operating
> system within the Radio itself?
>
> Sure, the radio needs a server or internet connection to get to a
> proper
> NTP server, but how much drift are you gonna get in a day? Maybe a few
> seconds, but nothing to worry about.
>
> While it is true that PC clocks leave a lot to be desired for accuracy,
> and the Radio not a PC but it sure is an embedded computer with an
> operating system. Its got to have the brains and power to do this as
> long as it has power.
>
> Or am I all wet here?
>
> --
> Pat Farrell
> http://www.pfarrell.com/

I think you could be a bit damp Pat, but probably not wet.  The Radio
alarm is proven to WORK even if there is no internet or server
connectivity.  There is even a local alarm sound that will function if
the selected playback media is unavailable.

It sounds like the person I was responding to was alarmed that having
incorrect timezone settings on the PC he was running the server software
on caused his alarm to mis-fire.

Yes, there is a local clock and it would appear that this individual
wants the local clock to run with no outside interference.  To do this
you would have to sever clocking functions between  the radio and the SB
server, or at a minimum you would need some kind of radio pref that lets
you give the local clock on the client device a higher priority for the
alarm.  You would also need the means to locally program the clock so it
can ignore the network time that is on the server or the internet NTP
that it would normally use to adjust its time.

Personally I have never had an issue with the alarms and I've been
using them now for over a week.  I have never had a mis-fire, etc.  The
time on the Radio is always perfect.

--
jmpage2