jmpage2 wrote:
> It sounds like the person I was responding to was alarmed that having
> incorrect timezone settings on the PC he was running the server software
> on caused his alarm to mis-fire.

Well, if your server's time is bonkers, that's a feature, not a bug.

> this individual
> wants the local clock to run with no outside interference.  To do this
> you would have to sever clocking functions between  the radio and the SB
> server...

Well, we'll need the OP to clarify what he wants. But its possible that
he just wants to have the Radio periodically check its time setting. I
think it already does that.

> You would also need the means to locally program the clock so it
> can ignore the network time that is on the server or the internet NTP
> that it would normally use to adjust its time.

Not sure I follow you here. All you need is a UI enhancement to let the
user specify a NTP server, such as pool.ntp.org, and that would cause
the radio to ignore time on mysqueezebox.com or your local SqueezeBoxServer.

I'm not sure I see the benefit, but other than the UI design issue,
technically it doesn't smell like its that hard.

Damply yours,
Pat

p.s. I run a member server of the pool.ntp.org, and my computers are
always right, within a few thousandths of a second. I've got permission
from the primary clocks to update mine, so its a very good secondary
source. As are others in the pool. On any recent Windows, all you need
to do is execute:
    net time /setsntp:pool.ntp.org