Sand has SB3's they do not have built in backup sound.

But on the other hand he have a local server, so using a local file on
the NAS should work if the NAS is running 24/7

Note that the local server must be running,an SB3 do not have rtc so it
cant' wol a server at time before an alarm if needed.

Given this an alarm set up on the slimserver on the NAS using local
files is a safe bet, you can play internet radio trough the NAS server
too.
But i don't know how it would function if internet is gone or the radio
station is down.

You should have a LAN.

Some isp's in Sweden have actually given their clients switches instead
of routers and are thus controlling their clients networks DHCP and
stuff, meaning that local PC's and things stops communicating with each
other when the internet is down ? incredibly nutty practice, you are
then also on a very big "lan" with thousands of other people, how
communication between your local stuff works in such a setting I don't
know (probably not at all, or very buggy, squeezeboxes for sure won't
like it) This is easily fixed by getting your own router.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: SB3 (soon to replaced by a Touch :) It is on preorder)
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: Receiver (soon to be replaced by my SB3 and the SBR to be
stuffed in a box in the attic )
Miscellaneous use: Radio (battery pack to be ordered)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this