I emailed Audible to request that their audio books be available on
Squeezebox devices. This is the answer I got:

"You have contacted us inquiring about the Squeezebox Radio
compatibility with audible. Unfortunately this device is currently not
supported by audible therefore the audible files will not play on this
device. There is no work around to transfer audible files onto this
device and no announced plans on if or when the device will be
supported.

The Manufacturer of this device has chosen not to make this device
compatible with the .aa file format. To make a device compatible with
the .aa format means supporting our encryption, this protects the
publisher’s copyrights as well as implementing key usability features,
such as section navigation and resume playback.

Each manufacturer must be willing to alter the device firmware to make
it compatible with Audible. Some manufacturers do not wish to make this
change. We are constantly working with device Manufacturers to make
their device Audible Ready, but ultimately it’s up to them to decide
since the devices firmware have to be updated."

I guess we would have to request Audible support as an enhancement.

--
mpower9