I was hoping that when Logitech purchased slimdevices that the benefit
would be drm support. I am getting very tired of these religious wars
from elitists who think that their point of view is the only one
allowed. Just because you think music should be drm free and open to
the world, does not mean there is no room for it for some things.

Several years ago, I too saw no reason for drm. I simply purchased all
my music on cds, came home and ripped them. However, over the past two
years, I have seen my income slashed like many people, not only in the
US, but all over the world. I can no longer afford to purchase music
nearly as often as I used to.

I will NOT steal music. I have a moral issue with this. If I moralize
the stealing of someone's work, then I have to moralize that it is ok
for someone to steel my welder, grinders, hammers and other tools that
I make a living with. Just because a musician or a record company is
rich, is not, a valid reason to steal, at least for me.

So, since I will not download free music from bit torrent, limewire, or
other sources, I looked to napster and then microsoft's zune. It is
simply an economical reality for me. For the cost of about 1 cd, I have
access to millions of songs. I wish it had more diversity, but some
music is better then almost no music.

I would love to be able to listen to my zune downloaded music on my
squeeze box 2 unit, but because of a political decision, I can not.
Other companies can, and I am sure that they have paid royalties to do
so. Logitech sales its players for profit, and is large enough to
authorize the cost over time. I am sure Logitech has to purchase rights
and pay royalties to many entities in order to bring its other products
to market. I see the only reason that drm services are not supported is
because of the choices made by the squeezebox team. Please correct me if
I am wrong, and if there is some other reason for this support to be
impossible or impractical. I understand that before the logitech
purchase, slimdevices could not afford to support drm. Now, though, I
am shocked at the hatred many have for it. If you wish to be elitists,
fine. If you want to have a product that everyone can use, then don't
discriminate against what your customers want to listen to. I paid my
money to listen to music, not support a political ideal.

I can not afford to purchase a Sonos system, but they market their
product to an higher income market then Logitech does, and they support
all the formats that low income people could use.

--
interspectrum