BLatSD;556536 Wrote:
> I'm starting to see a pattern in the way the alarm works.  Mind you,
> this may be something commonly known to long time SBR owners, but as a
> newbie I've just discovered it (& as usual, it's not covered in the
> skimpy manual).
>
> Rule of thumb: At the time you set the alarm parameters (especially the
> alarm sound option), be sure your SBR is connected to the server that
> will be "alive" when it's supposed to go off.
>
> For example, if I set up my alarm and choose a Sound Effect when the
> SBR is connected to my PC's SBServer, then shut my PC (or server) down
> when I go to bed, the alarm that's played will always be the default
> "rock guitar" sound rather than my chosen sound effect.  This is
> because the alarm sound menu choices are actually "pointers" to the
> choices, not the choices themselves.  There's one set of pointers that
> "lives" on your local SB Server, and there's one set that lives on
> mysqueezebox.com.  And, to make it confusing, they can look identical.
> They both will list "Current Playlist", Favorites, Musical Sounds,
> Natural Sounds, & Sound Effects.
>
> So if you've set your alarm sound when connected to SBServer, the SBR
> alarm is going to look for the "pointer" to your favorite or sound on
> the SBServer.  And if your home SBServer is down, it won't find the
> pointer, so it will therefore play the default alarm sound.
>
> So for me, since I shut down my SBServer at night, before I set up an
> alarm, I make sure that I'm connected to myqueezebox.com first (since
> it's always "alive" while on the other hand, my PC is not. - I added
> the "switch to myqueezebox.com item to my home menu).  It always plays
> the right favorite/sound when I do this.
>
> I think I read somewhere (here?) that Favorites (& maybe presets too)
> saved when connected to SBServer & Favorites/presets saved when
> connected to mysqueezebox.com are supposed to "sync" up, but they don't
> (or at least they never have for me).  I had to create two identical
> sets in order to access my favorites & preset buttons so that
> regardless of which server I was currently connected to, they would
> play.

Thats the point with a bug fix in 7.5.1 it is supposed to wake your
local server 5 minutes before the alarm, note that if the servers has
the right hardware and are properly configured it can be booted from
complete shutdown by WOL (wake on lan) .
I use my boom as alarm (my radio does other things) and it send WOL to
my server, waking it up this way itworks really well, I use random
songs from my own library to get up, and be surprised with whatever
music it finds .

If wake on lan is going to work depends on motherboard network card and
bios options, so this might not be the way for everyone, with a local
server. The server has to be wired to router to work this way the
squeezebox can be on wifi.

--
Mnyb

Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 and assorted amps
SiriuS, Classe' Primare and Dynadio speakers, Contour 4 Contour Center,
and Contour 1.3SE for the rear ch. Rel Stadium 3 sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Miscellaneous use: Radio (with battery)
I use a Controller various ir-remotes and a Eee-PC with squeezeplay to
control this