Not very surprising, but still a shock to say the least. I've owned a
Squeezebox for 3 years now. First I bought the Receiver, after that the
system was quickly expanded by a Radio. Without iPeng though, I probably
would have abandoned the system quite quickly. But this worked so great
that I gave the Receiver to my sister and bought myself a Touch.

Since I don't use mysb.com anyway and stream all my files from my local
server, I'm guessing I don't have to worry much, as long as my clients
keep working. But what I do worry about is Synology seizing updates for
their future NAS'. So no more easy packages that are installed with a
click of a button. Installing non-package software on a NAS, at least
for me, is a bitch. I'm guessing many of us will run into the same
problem.

I think I'm one of the few that does see a positive lining behind this.
Perhaps Logitech has finally seen the light and makes the system really
easy to install (Sonos like), without the need for a rather powerful
server (I know there are alternatives, but if you know how to use them,
installing the system isn't a problem for you...) to make the best use
of the system, so that it gets a broader user-base. This will probably
mean we will lose some of the openness of the current system, but for me
this is not a big drawback. But perhaps that's just too much positive
thinking, they've never understood the product in the past, so why would
they do so now?

The only thing I'm really hoping, is that Logitech will bring out a
successor to the Touch / Receiver and at least make it possible for
iPeng / Squeezepad and Android equivalents to control the system. The
first one I'm not that worried about, this will probably happen, the
latter I'm more nervous about...