Mnyb wrote:
> *Planned obsolescence on a new level , they can kill your product
> remotely be closing the service . Ye olde squeezebox works locally until
> the hardware fails . this product dies when Logitech says so .

While that's possible, keep in mind that millions of people have email
service supplied free by Google, Yahoo, MSN and the like. These people
are completely dependent on the willingness of the carrier involved to
keep the lights on. The same thing is true of most of the other products
and services we use in modern life -- we are completely dependent on
others for continued availability.

I try to reserve my worries for larger catastrophes, such as a high
altitude EMP stike....