pippin wrote:
> Not really. I just remembered that earlier this year "baby2" firmware
> strings started to show up in the firmware repos.
>
> And recently a friend of mine tried to do the same thing as you:
> installing a 7.5.x firmware on a newly purchased Radio.
> It failed with obscure errors and he SSH'ed into the device and had a
> look at the logs and there was a message about an incompatible firmware
> revision.
> I think his Radio came with a 7.7.1 firmware pre installed so it looks
> you can't go back to pre-7.7.1 firmware revisions. There simply is no
> compatible firmware for older server versions.
>
> The crashes being caused are probably because there is no mechanism to
> distinguish the devices (both are called baby) so your server will try
> to install the old version even though it's not compatible.
>
>From firmware svn logs:

Code:
--------------------

  r9597 | fmueller | 2012-02-02 20:36:51 +0100 (Tor, 02 Feb 2012) | 4 lines

  Bug: n/a
  - LiteOn light sensor support starting with board revision 7

  r9596 | fmueller | 2012-02-02 20:31:35 +0100 (Tor, 02 Feb 2012) | 5 lines

  Bug: n/a
  - Copy existing MSP430 firmware file for board revision 7
  - Allow firmware to run on board revision 7

  r9595 | fmueller | 2012-02-02 20:25:31 +0100 (Tor, 02 Feb 2012) | 4 lines

  Bug: n/a
  - New redboot bootloader to increase board revision to 7

--------------------

Feels like this could be related.
In that case it means that you need 7.7.2 or later firmware if you like
to "downgrade" a UE Smart Radio to a Squeezebox.

The command
Code:
--------------------
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
--------------------
 on my Radios's lists two rows at the end of the output saying:

Code:

  Hardware      : Logitech MX25 Baby Board
  Revision      : 0005

If anyone have a UE Smart Radio is willing to try to run cat
/proc/cpuinfo and see what Revision it reports we can confirm it.
If it says 7, that's probably a fairly strong indication that the above
mentioned firmware changes is needed to make the firmware work properly,
which means you need 7.7.2 or later firmware.