The problem (quoted below) does NOT occur when using either of these two
routers (instead of an ASUS AX3000):

TP-Link Archer AX50
Netgear AX1800 RAX15

In both cases, Wi-Fi 6 is enabled and works well.  And no problem with
the Squeezebox Boom.

Unknown if ASUS has fixed the AX3000 (I reported the problem to them.)

P.S.  As the TP-Link Archer ran warmer than I preferred, I returned it
in favor of the Netgear AX1800 RAX15, which runs much cooler.