Zoltan wrote:
> Thanks bpa.
>
> I took a quick look but there is a lot to catch up on as I haven't
> visited the forum for a while. This solution appears in a thread about a
> 'Community Build' firmware, which is all new to me. What wasn't clear to
> me was whether the solution only applies in the context of this new
> firmware or whether I could apply it to a bog standard Radio.
>
> When you say 'unskilled', I am nowhere near the level of the guys on
> that thread providing this, but I'm happy to use putty to log into Linux
> type systems and general command line stuff. Would that be sufficient?

Unlike LMS, the full sources for Radio and Touch are not available and
so firmware updates cannot be readily be made.
The thread is about new firmware for the Radio, users trying to to fix
various Radio problems (e.g. reset after x days, WLAn problems) but out
of the research POMdev created a script which runs on the standard
firmware essentially checking the WLAN connection and if it stops - it
is restarted. So there while gaps in WLAN connection still occur the
script means they are short - not sure what it means for usablity but
POMdev seems happy. So if you are interested in the script - just read
around the linked post - no need to read whole thread.

Radio & Touch have a number of patches available which ordinary users
can install. This WLAN script has not yet been packaged into a patch and
so may be fiddly to install (e.g. download script file,  remote ssh
login into Radio, copy file into Radio and maybe do a few more commands)
and will need to be reinstalled if Radio firmware is reset.  I'd be
hopeful someone will package the script if it is shown to be successful
(i.e. tested by a few more users & maybe enhanced a little bit to take
care of corner cases)

I think putty or Winscp will be ok - download the wlanpoke zip file and
look the instruction - they could be considered a bit "technical" as
they are also explaining rationale.  I don't think you cant break/brick
the Radio but if done incorrectly, small possibility it may become
unusable and need a reset back to factory settings.