gordonb3 wrote:
> As I read it this he can only make that change based on the community
> version, which to me appears to imply that he uses a newer development
> platform that creates incompatible binaries. I'm not yet willing to go
> that way so I'm currently investigating a different route. As my armv5te
> development machine originally came with a Debian Squeeze based OS,
> which seems to be what the Squeezeboxes are based on as well, I did some
> digging and found the original install image. I'll need to change some
> parameters as Squeeze is obviously archived now and I will need
> build-essentials to get me going, but I should then be able to compile
> the squeezeplay sources to create a jive binary that is compatible with
> my Radio.
>
> In the meantime I have submitted a pull request to Ralph's fork to be
> included in the community build. The change is of course currently
> untested on the actual platform but I'm certain it will solve the sign
> change in the LUA part of squeezeplay.

The community builds are as close as we can get to the original firmware
in terms of binary compatibility.  A community jive binary will run on
the stock firmware provided the fdk-aac decoder is linked static and
libraries too.

Several of the components of the logitech firmware do not have source
code available.  The community firmware (CF) git repositories have
incorporated work arounds for the missing bits.  See the 'community
firmware thread'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?113479-Announce-Community-Firmware-for-Squeezebox-Radio-Touch-Controller-and-LMS-8)
for all the details.

I'm not certain the statement that the original firmware was based on
debian squeeze is accurate.  It was released in Feb 2011 and the
controller development, the first logitech product based on the jive
platform started around Aug 2007.  That's the first commit date to the
logitech squeezeos repo and then switched to the poky environment around
Jul 2008.

The poky/bitbake environment currently used to build the jive platform
firmware, which is now called yocto is a custom linux distribution.

I have seen the pull request, it was submitted to the multiplatform
squeezeplay repo, not the one I use for the CF builds.  But that's okay,
I will build a jive binary compatible with both stock and CF with the
change, without committing the PR so we can test the possible
performance and functionality impacts.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *2*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.