I have THREE Squeezeboxes plus a Squeezebox Boom. Recently, after many
years of flawless experience, all 3 Squeezeboxes have started
disconnecting from my 2.4Ghz WiFi. Within 15 minutes up to about 90
minutes. The Boom never disconnects. The Squeezeboxes work fine if I run
Ethernet to them; they do not ever disconnect.

When they disconnect, they all disconnect at the same time, so it is not
an individual hardware issue. I placed one of them less than 2 feet from
the router; it disconnects simultaneously with the other two so it is
not a distance/obstruction issue. A factory reset on the router changed
nothing. A factory reset on one of the Squeezeboxes changed nothing. I
excluded the router as cause entirely by buying and installing a new
router with a bare-bones configuration file; it changed nothing. I
changed the fixed 2.4GHz channel several times based on WiFi sniffing,
changed the channel width setting to 20MHz, changed from 802.11b/g/n to
802.11g/n (the Squeezeboxes are 802.11g), static IP or dynamic IP … all
changed nothing.

After reading a bunch of boards on this topic, what I now surmise … from
combining all that wisdom & experiences with my own experimenting … is
that the firmware code in the Squeezeboxes is 'weak' with regard to
recovering from temporary/transient 2.4Ghz signal disruptions due to
interference and noise … and instead all too readily defaults to a
disconnection. (The Boom firmware code is apparently less weak in that
regard.) This has apparently only recently become an issue since the
market is now ever-saturating with all sorts of devices built on the
2.4GHz WiFi platform -- my sniffing sniffed everything from wireless
printers to TV sound bars to Roku remote controls. And there are devices
that are set to continually 'auto-pick' the best 2.4GHz channel, meaning
they are constantly jumping from one channel to another looking for
better signal … and so they are walking all over all the channels all
the time. And there are even mesh routers on the market that will try to
grab almost all the available 2.4Ghz channels (2 through 10) for
simultaneous use. And all that ignores the basic flaw in 2.4GHz design:
that only three channels do not overlap with any other channel (1,6 &
11), that those three channels, anymore, are always in use nearby with
strong signal ... and that any of the other channels will catch at least
some interference/noise from some of the other channels.

And so my neighborhood apparently has finally filled with 2.4Ghz devices
to the point that they have overwhelmed the capacity of the Squeezebox's
(weak) ability to tolerate and/or overcome the interference and noise
all these other devices are generating. Bam. Disconnect.

If this is the case I only see three solutions: (1) Migrate off my
Squeezebox devices and onto Boom devices, (2) Implement one of those
Wifi-to-Ethernet dongle solutions I see others speaking of (such as
Vonet) or (3) purchase some kind of illegal WiFi jammer-blaster device
and run it 24/7 at maximum power until enough of these other offending
devices are abandoned by their users. (lol.)