2009/6/12 Bodaniel Jeanes <m...@bjeanes.com>

> You've hit the nail on the head IMO. If your designers can code and aren't
> afraid of some if statements etc in the code and like HAML, then it's win
> win win for everybody. Give your designers access to the repo, and let them
> have at your views directly. That is the best.
>
> If your designers aren't comfortable, go HTML across the board

I totally agree. There's no point making a designer feel like an idiot
because you expect them to learn something which they shouldn't have to.
However, as Lao Tzu said, "Give a man a fish; feed him for a day. Teach a
man to fish; feed him for a lifetime." There are four syntax elements
designers need to know: '#', '.', '%' and '{}'. IMO sitting down for a day
and teaching a designer how to use HAML (perhaps by perhaps converting some
existing HTML) would great for the project and the designer. If in the first
5 minutes they clearly have no idea/willingness to learn, then leave it an
go with HTML. However, HAML is far more productive and maintainable than
regular HTML and any time they spend learning it will have a quick ROI.

It's also unrealistic to expect that you'll never have to touch any of the
front end stuff in a project. By at least attempting to get your designer to
know HAML you can make life more bearable for both of you.

Oh, and converting HAML to HTML automatically is a terrible idea, especially
in large project. I probably shouldn't have mentioned anything because now
people will give html2haml and css2sass more attention than they deserve.
Little snippets, no so bad though.

> I personally never use SASS btw. Too many great tools like firebug,
> CSSEdit, etc that let me do so much of the CSS work quickly and easily that
> SASS just gets in the way. It's a nice idea though. I'd love to see some
> editor support for it.

I spoke to the CSSEdit guy a while ago and he said he was thinking of adding
SASS support, so that'll be something for my kids to look forward to.

Chris

--
chrislloyd.com.au