>> I think the "what should I be paid?" question really doesn't relate to job
>> title at all - you should be asking "what would I be paid if I moved
>> elsewhere?" (which is almost always more than you are currently getting)

I think this reasoning is flawed.

The real question anyone should be asking is "How much value do I
bring to this organisation, and is my pay packet commensurate with
that?".

The bottom line is, the only way a company (big or small) can pay you
your wage, is that if you generate more value for the organisation in
real terms that you take in terms of wage.

If you can't generate value for the organisation that is incredibly
disproportionate to what you are getting paid already, then you have
no grounds for "a pay raise".

Remember also, that for every tech guy who is delivering, you usually
need one to two admin people supporting them (closer to one per if the
organisation is big).  These admin people include sales, execs,
reception, treasury, marketing, promotion and the rest, not to mention
the cost of having employees.

So if your company is billing you out at $120 per hour and paying you
$40 per hour, and you are doing less than 20 hours a week of billable
time, then you are not even breaking even on your existing wage.

It's all well and good to say "The company should pay me more".  But
many people loose sight of the fact that "the company" is made up of
all the people that work there, and those guys all pushing forward is
what makes the company sink or swim.

</rant>

--
http://rubyx.com/