Daryl,

I hate to be a killjoy, but from what you've written, it sounds to me like
you're partly picking Rails because it's what *you* want, rather than what the
client wants? I've been guilty of this in the past, and let me tell you, it can
be more pain than it's worth in the long run.

It's great to get commercial Rails experience to add to your portfolio, but if
this is a project where you need to pick a solution that the client and their
team buys into as a group, then you need to either accept that, or maybe you
need to say "thanks, but no thanks."

If the client's team feels like it's *you* that has made the decision, and
they've not had any input into it, you WILL get push-back and you WILL become
the focal point for complaints/blame/whispered threats of pain and/or death. :D

If they're still looking for a GUI builder or some form of RAD environment,
then it seems like they don't fully understand what they're getting into?

Perhaps you're better off looking for a client that doesn't need "convincing"
but has already bought into the idea of using Rails and understands what the
development process is?

Better to work with folks who are into Rails than those who are going to
constantly be complaining that it doesn't do X or Y or Z like they can do with
their favourite tools.

Just my 2c worth... I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but as I say, this
is just the impression I have from what you've written.

Cheers,

Warren