It's worth keeping in mind that they aren't "targeting aussies". It just happens that they are advertising positions for Australians because it's on an Australian site. My money says that if you check on a british or canadian equivalent of seek.com.au there would be ads encouraging them to apply too.

I've recently been hired by a US company (by the guy who wrote that blog post warren linked to actually) and that company has been desperately been trying to hire from a number of places. Australia is not their first choice. E-3 might make it easier, but most of the people who do the reaching out to Australia haven't learned what an E-3 is yet and Australia is a pretty damn long way away. That being said, we are being considered because our Rails devs are not as in-demand locally as theirs are there. There is too much work and not enough workers, and I for one are going to take advantage of that.

Warren is correct in his assumption that cheaper doesn't factor into their decisions. The visa costs and the risks associated with that investment are too high, even if the employee was to be paid lower than a US equivalent. Furthermore, my salary there is certainly not lower than the average rates there. In fact, from what I can see, it's actually higher. Perhaps as extra security for the risk that foreign employees might get over it and come home.

Cheers,
Bo

        Warren Seen <mailto:warren.s...@gmail.com>
16 February 2011 9:31 AM

This is most likely a clear sign that there's a shortage of competent Ruby devs in NY as well as Chicago (see: http://nuts.redsquirrel.com/post/2680658687/chicagos-ruby-developer-crisis) - time to raise my hourly rate again!

All jokes aside, maybe it's because E3 visas are easier to deal with than H1-B visas from an employer's perspective? The E3 is exclusive to Australians, and from what I've read, only a fraction of them are taken up each year, compared to H1-B's which are oversubscribed.

Cheaper doesn't factor into it, as my understanding is that an employer will need to offer the equivalent of what a US worker would make anyway, i.e. you can't import labour at below market rate. Factor in relo costs, etc, plus the real risk that some people may pack it in and come back home, it's probably significantly more expensive than hiring locally.

(Also, as far as I'm aware, Pivotal pair ATFT or close to it, so if they hired you, they'd want to pair with you regardless of where you're from. :P)

        Matthieu Stone <mailto:matthieu.st...@gmail.com>
12 February 2011 10:22 AM

I lived there for 7 years - great times.

Have you got your visa status sorted out (if you need one)? The conditions change a bit, just contact the UK consul & make sure you can actually work legally.

I'm still on the LRUG list & there seems to be fairly regular job postings - so send them a note, setting out a bit about you, what you've done, & what you want to do.

www.jobserve.co.uk <http://www.jobserve.co.uk> - aggregates most of the recruitment agency roles.

www.gumtree.co.uk <http://www.gumtree.co.uk> is also worth a look - you can usually pick up a html - php - destktop support contract for a few weeks to tide things over.

40 pound weekends in Spain & France - good times indeed!

rgds,
- matt.

        Jason Langenauer <mailto:jlangena...@gmail.com>
10 February 2011 9:04 PM

Hi all,

I'm currently toying with the idea of moving to London for a year or two. Does anyone here have any insight into how good, bad or otherwise the Ruby/Rails contracting market there is, in the wake of the GFC?

Regards

Jason Langenauer
jason.langena...@constrex.com
+61 418 240 380