I think there are two questions:
1) Linked tables
Not sure you need to to do that with vars.
How 'bout a form with 2 DBGrids, top grid is invoice header, bottom is invoice details. Link them by invoice number...or whatever they have in common; link on one column only.

2) Copy/paste from one grid to another
If you need to copy/paste a value from one grid to another, use an EEP with   SET CLIPBOARD .vWhatever
vWhatever is defined in the form expressions.
Then you can Ctrl-V that value wherever needed.

Doug