In 30 years of riding and overhauling bikes I have never had to use a
six foot bar to remove a freewheel and I have never stripped one out,
or the hub it was attached to.  Seven spd  13 -28 freewheels offer
regularly spaced gears and when mated to a 50x40x28 or 26 offer a very
wide range of useable gears.  Freewheels with a 12 small cog are most
often racing sets 12-24 or less.,  but a 9 speed cassette, 12x 27, can
be mated with smaller rings to provide about the same high gear and a
decent low gear, 34x 27 for most road riding situations.  There is no
need to widen the cog set out to 32 or 34, with the resulting wide
gear jumps.  It is better to go to smaller rings, or a triple crank if
you want to get down below 30 gear inches.  No the cranks don't know
whether your using a freewheel or a cassette, but your legs know when
the gears are spaced too far apart or have too small a range.  As for
servicing, it is more work to overhaul a cassette hub than a
freewheel.  The cassette requires disassembling all of the cogs, then
pulling the freehub off to get to the bearings.  Quite doable for
sure, but still a longer process than simply removing a freewheel.
Michael