On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Patrick in VT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't consider myself a masher, and anything less than a 70 inch
> gear ratio is a real drag for me on ss road rides, especially if I'm
> riding fixed and/or for distance.
>
> What kind of cadence do you have to spin to sustain a moderate pace,
> say 15mph, with a 60 inch gear?  Personally, intense spinning wears me
> out much, much faster than powering up hills.
>
> With a 60 inch gear, I figure I'd lose about an hour off of what it
> would normally take me to do a ss 50 mile club ride with a 70ish inch
> gear (about 3 hours) - and I'd be absolutely cooked!!  I'm exhausted
> just thinking about it!

Terrain and riding style matter a lot, as do expected average speed. I
rode 42x16 as both my fixed and ss gear for a few years, and just last
year found it more comfortable for my usual city riding with a 42x18.
I think part of it was a lack of strength in the spring from not
riding much last winter, and part an improved spin from a few thousand
miles on a single. I don't often do fast club rides at all, and rarely
fast road rides on a single, and the 42x18 gear lets me comfortably
spin 18-20mph on most terrain around here but still get up any road
hill.

For hilly routes on a singlespeed, i'd certainly understand gearing
lower, and i think that's how a lot of QBs are used - and for mixed
road/dirt too. In those cases, you can coast down the hills and the
40x18 is low enough for a pretty good variety of dirt too. Not
coincidentally, that was my preferred singlespeed CX gear this year.

You'll almost always want a higher gear for road fixed riding - but of
course, who would want *less* time on a bike?  :-)

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN