John -

all things considered - boots, baggy pants, 100rpm cadence - you're
lucky you didn't start a fire!

With my 48x17, I really felt like I was in slow-motion everytime I saw
you whizzing around yesterday.  Watching you in the cornfield was a
trip!

I'm starting to think that I do "mash" and have a low cadence riding
style compared to what others are stating is comfortable - 40x17/18 at
anything over 15mph sounds like spin class intensity to me.

I usually ride a fixed gear at 48x17/18 and wouldn't want to spin much
more than that.

Interesting discussion.