on 12/8/08 8:49 AM, Patrick in VT at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I don't consider myself a masher, and anything less than a 70 inch
> gear ratio is a real drag for me on ss road rides, especially if I'm
> riding fixed and/or for distance.
>
> What kind of cadence do you have to spin to sustain a moderate pace,
> say 15mph, with a 60 inch gear?  Personally, intense spinning wears me
> out much, much faster than powering up hills.

After building up my first fixed-gear, I recorded a couple of points of
reference:

Fixed Gear Speeds at Specific Cadences
GEARING     Revolutions Per Minute - Speed

Parasonic w/ Speedblends
42 x 15T
w/ 700x32c tires = 75g"     60 - 13.5 mph, 80 - 18.0 mph, 100 - 22.5 mph,
120 - 27 mph

Dawes w/ Conti's
42 x 16T
w/ 700x25c tires = 69g"     60 - 12.4 mph, 80 - 16.5 mph, 100 - 20.6 mph,
120 - 24.7 mph

Quickbeam Gearing
40 x 18T/16T/15T/14T
w/ 700x32c tires = 60 - 67.5 - 72.5 - 77g" @90 rpms: 16.1 mph - 18.1 mph -
19.3 mph - 20.7 mph

AASHTA - From Sheldon's Gear Calculator (pull down menu, after "Meters
Development")
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

His advice for gearing selection still is the most cogent ever given:
"low enough that I can make it up the hills where I usually ride, but high
enough that I can go reasonably fast down the other side."

Oh - Gino made a vid once, too:
http://vimeo.com/1381858

- Jim

--

Jim Edgar
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

2009 Current Classics Calendar - Now Available to Order!
http://www.cyclofiend.com/calendar