On Dec 23, 12:15 pm, "David Faller" <dfal...@charter.net> wrote:
> Exactly!  Talk about drinking the Kool Aid; the consumers all bought into the
> "differences as improvements", when, in fact, the differences are only
> differences.  Most threadless stems are just ugly.   I suppose some are a tad
> lighter, but this was never the reason for the new design.  And what's all
> this about threadless being somehow stronger?  Any of you snapped off a
> steerer at the stem lately?

This one's certainly not ugly...

http://flickr.com/photos/t2architect/3128394163/in/set-72157610331529941/

And, FWIW, threadless stems (read: non-quill stems that clamp onto the
fork steerer) go back to the classic French constructeur bikes of the
40s/50s -- it's not a new concept.  E.G. this 1947 Alex Singer:

http://reneherse.com/images/DSC_00463.JPG
http://reneherse.com/images/DSC_00166.JPG

-Jim G