I just don't see this as some kind of competition.

Threadless stems came about for several good reasons, and that should
not be a threat to anyone. Both systems have their advantages. Not
being able to find a steel road fork with a 1" threadless steer tube
is a bit like not being able to find a cassette hub to fit a road
bike. Makes no sense to me. Your mileage may vary. That's great. What
a boring planet it would be and all that.