Basic geo diffs btw RIV roadish bikes & RB-1

The RBs have shorter chainstays and less BB drop, for higher bottom
brackets, and less tire clearance. There were many forces a-pulling at
the time:

Sales reps and dlrs would tolerate no chainstay longer than 41.5.
The brakes available were short-reach, which, even if reps-n-dealers
would have tolerated bigger tires (and if I were as hip to them then
as I am now---I don't want to point fingers only away---well, the
short reach brakes forced skinny tires. Still, those Bstones had more
clearance than their contemporaries, and judged by their time they
looked pretty smart.
I've learned a lot since then, and my values have shifted some, and
from RIV onward I didn't have to satisfy anybody else---so immediately
I went to longer chainstays and more bb drop (lower bbs). I used to
believe that longer femurs dictated shallower seat tube angles &
shorter 'murs need steeper ones, but I realized that was pish-posh,
and so those incrementally shallower-as-they-got-bigger seat tube
angles I was so fantastically proud of back then...well, good
intentions, but all for naught. I think it was Tony Oliver's book that
set me straight on that, and it's so obvious once you understand it.

My "high bars" phase came from a guy named Bob Gordon talking my head
off about it, and it led to a RR article called Raise Dat Stem. All
you have to do is try it...and yep, there may be some who prefer low
bars, but I tend to think they're anatomically different in invisible
ways, or in denial, or too stubborn. Something. Part of raising the
bar is raising the front end of the bike, and the cumulative effects
of a slightly upsloping top tube, the extended head tube, the longer
steer tube, and the wonderful longer-quilled Nitto stems make a huge
difference. An RB-1 56 has a level top tube, short-stack headset, and
short-quilled stems resulted in a 56 with the bar height of a 56.
A 56 Rambouillet allows a bar  height equivalent to an RB-1 65cm---and
yet, it don't look wacky. It just feels way better (for most people).
It may be "non-classic," by virtue (and I mean virtue) of the
aforementioned quirks, but it is better for each of them individually,
and bounds better by the cumulation of them.

Pino Moronni was my long-chainstay influence. In fractured English, he
can make a good case for it. The idea that shorter is faster--more
pish-posh!

Also: Bstone top tubes/down tubes were 25.4mm/28.6mm. RIVS are
generally 28.6/31.8, with the occasional custom that has a downtube
that's 28.6 at the top and 31.8 at the bottom.