> ------------------------------
> From: dfal...@charter.net
> To: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [RBW] Re: Rivendell vs. Bridgestone sizing
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:30:03 -0800
>
> I'm preaching to the choir here, but the biggest resistance to raising the
> stem on road bikes comes from the aesthetic of the "racing bike look".
> Almost no one (please note that I said "*almost* no one") could rationally
> claim that having bars significantly lower than the saddle is more
> comfortable; yet the image of the racing bike is so ingrained in the bike
> culture that variants are considered freakish and wrong, regardless of
> comfort or proper fit.  I had a beautiful Eisentraut in the 70's and early
> 80's, and it never felt right so I sold it.  Looking back, I had the stem so
> far down that my back and neck always hurt.  It sure looked good, and at the
> time I would have rather suffered than look non-racy by raising the stem.

Just contrarian view here. I am near-enough-as-makes-no-difference to 54,
not at all flexible, and generally ride short distances (30 miles or less);
last year I rode 3000 miles -- certainly I'm no racer or long distance type.
I ride in somewhat hilly terrain (ABQ, NM) where we have a lot of wind. I
like my bars (a) short reach and shallow drop and narrow: 42 cm (I'm 5'10")
and (b) about 2" below saddle. The bars suit me fine for the following
reasons: (a) I don't ride more than 30 miles (tho' I've done a 50 miler with
no problems); (b) the bike seems to handle better -- I've tried bars even
and found the bike felt unpleasant -- no power, light front end; (c) believe
it or not, a few miles in the hooks is a comfortable alternative to hoods
and ramps and flats; (d) Wind! (e) I notice more power when I am lower.
FWIW, I have long torso and short limbs, Asian style.

I have tried wider bars and higher bars and don't like them, except on the
off road bike where I like the wide and high flats for drop-offs, but even
on these -- with bar even with or perhaps even slightly higher than saddle,
I ride a great deal in the drops, which is slightly lower than the hoods
position on my road bikes. And as I say, I don't like the feel as well as
that on my road bikes. (The reach from saddle to levers remains the same as
on the road bikes thanks to the immense effective tt length on the Monocog
29er.)

The bikes in question are 2 custom Rivs, which are the most comfortable
bikes I've ridden, and all my other bikes use the Rivs as benchmark for
setup.

I don't give a hoot about looking like a racer: all my bikes except the
gofast, which gets ridden less than the others, have fenders and either bag
or rack. The two commuters and errand bikes have bell or horn and lights.
Even the gofast has a Nigel Smythe bag.

To complete my disgrace -- might as well reveal it all -- I like skinnier
tires, no more than 28 on pavement (I use 21 mm Turbos on the commuter
because I can't find supple 28s in the 559 size, 28s on the Motobecane, and
I favor 60s off road -- sandy here), don't like Brookses though I've tried
almost all of them, have switched back to clips and straps and find them
nicer than clipless despite saying "NO NO" for many years, and all my bikes
are fixed or at least ss. For that matter, I prefer rechargeable lights to
dynohub. I do wear wool in winter and cotton in summer -- not for style but
because these are better for my climate.

My point is not to be contrary, despite my tongue in cheek opening sentence,
but simply to point out that it is very, very hard to assert accurate
abolutes when speaking about bike fit and comfort.