I run Paul thumbies with 8 speed shimano barcons, and love them! I use
interrupter brake levers and it makes for a very comfy setup. The
shifters are protected from falls and easily accessed. Most of the
time I am riding on the tops of the bars anyway, and I don't have to
release the bars to shift. Being a retired Paramedic, I always
wondered why anyone would run Silvers (bar end mount). They look like
perfect little daggers that would pierce you in an accident. If I had
them, I would wrap the ends in rubber tape, then dunk them in tool
handle dip stuff. I'd give them many coats, until I was sure they
would not stab me.

Boing Boing...
Clayton