My Paramount P-15 was originally equipped with "Schwinn Approved"
centerpull brakes that were obviously made by Weinmann (they were
essentially the Vainqueur 999 model).   I never experienced any
problems with braking on that bike with centerpulls, I switched to a
retrofitted set of Campy Record sidepull caliper brakes simply because
I had them and liked the appearance on my bike.

I think centerpull brakes got an undeserved reputation for
insufficient braking force primarily because many consumer bikes
(especially some of the heavier weight "10-Speed" models made by
Schwinn and others) had the "sweegee" cheater brakes levers added for
ease of braking while on the tops of the bars.  There is a
considerable loss of braking leverage when these types of levers were
used, hence the reputation for poor braking.  Many manufacturers,
besides Schwinn, used Weinmann long reach rear brakes on their top-
line bikes, including the Raleigh International and Competition
models.

Jim