My camper has a Campy front der and crank, Maxi-Car hubs and Shimano
freewheel.  Everything works fine.  Of course, I use friction
shifters, not index.  Index shifters may get confused when you mix and
match.

Isn't it amazing how technological advances force customer loyalty?
You would almost think that was the reason for the 'advance' and not
improved experience for the rider.  Nah, manufacturers would never
dream of such a thing.