I think many will agree that Mercian are the proper British equivalent
of Rivendell.  You have a great bike there.

Color is personal, but I really like the Brooks Honey.  It is more
neutral looks good with almost any other color you use with your bike.

Which Ideale saddles do you have?  There are several possible issues
with the leather that could leave them less comfortable.  First,
Ideale had several grades of leather.  Some of the basic grades were
more stiff.  The highest end was stamped with Rebour.  This was glove
soft and is quite comfortable even today if well cared for.

Which gets to my second and third possiblities.  If the saddle is
used, it is possible it was not properly cared for over the years.  To
little or the wrong kind of leather conditioner and the saddle starts
to dry out.  Also, you never know if some prior owner did not over
stretch the saddle. Even if you got the saddle new old stock, who
knows where it was stored.  Temperature and humidity need to be
correct to keep leather in good condition.  And of course, leather
saddles conform to the shape and weight of the rider.  If the original
owner has a significantly different body from you, then it is possible
they wore the saddle down wrong.