on 8/29/09 7:54 AM, Tim McNamara at tim...@bitstream.net wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2009, at 6:06 AM, JoelMatthews wrote:
>
>> Admittedly, I know very little about club racing dynamics, but I
>> expect the majority of people who buy the Roadeo will never use tires
>> wider than a 28.  At least not when they are with the guys and gals at
>> the club.  Brifters or no, the bike as used - the tires part anyway -
>> will wind up having more in the Bob Jackson-ish and old Raleigh
>> Competition than the design intended.
>

> Club riders will generally be using 700 x 23.  Frequently smaller.
> At 120 PSI.  It's just a fact of life in racing clubs.  This is
> target market that does not think like people who use 35 mm tires,
> tweed bags and high bars.  If you don't know anything about club
> racing, you won't be able to look at this frame through the right lens.

I think that's starting to change.  I've had a couple conversations with
folks when I'm out on the Hilsen, rolling along fat and happy on my 32/33's
while they clatter and bang away on 23's.  There have been some articles in
the race crowd about using larger volume tires, and I'm seeing a few MCRB's
with 25's and 28's - They are certainly not the majority, but 2 or 3 years
ago you wouldn't see anything but the thin stuff.

On the roads around these parts, the two times that I consistently either
gain  distance upon or catch up with folks on the Race Modeled Road Bikes
(RMRB) is when we hit uneven pavement (well, that and descending).  They
look at the Jack Browns and you can see the wheels turning.

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Get your photos posted: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"Then I sat up, wiped the water out of my eyes, and looked at my bike, and
just like that I knew it was dead"

-- Robert McCammon, "Boy's Life"