I own a Rohloff, never have liked the shifting mechanism.  Waiting for
promised October delivery on a Super-Commuter from a local frame
builder.  He found another local machinist to make me a rotational
shifter that will mount to a "regular" shift lever boss.  I gave the
verbal description "like a big ol' fashioned stereo knob" and this is
what I received:

http://tinyurl.com/m2yeos

One of the cool things about the Rohloff is that the entire shifting
mechanism is contained within the hub itself.  It really doesn't
matter what or how you get the cable to pull the two different
directions, just so long as you can get the proper length to move.
Cable pull information on Rohloff per gear/total = 7.4mm/96.2mm