The solution to this is to do as my brother does, and own up to 80 bicycles
but never pay more than $100 for any one; his average is probably more like
$50. So, $5K, that's the price of a top line, decked out Riv.
Among his keepers (since most flow through his garage almost like
Heraclitus's river) are a 1960s Paramount track bike that I have coveted for
years and that has ('s True!) room for 28s and fenders) and various other
Paramounts and top echelon Treks, not to mention ti Mountain Bikes.

It *does* help if you live in the rich part of LA and have true scavenger
skills.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Dave Craig <dcr...@prescott.edu> wrote:

> One of the most interesting threads we've had  . . .
>
> I've grappled with the larger concepts of consumerism and voluntary
> simplicity for much of my adult life. Spend any time in the developing
> world and it's hard not to question why one really *needs* more than
> one bike - let alone even one Rivendell at a cost of what many in the
> world may not make in salary in a year.
>
> I'll admit that I own many bikes and that I am seemingly always on the
> verge of "one more." I use each of my bikes regularly for recreation
> and exercise and I seldom drive, so my bikes also serve most of my
> transportation needs. I've delighted in building up each of my diverse
> fleet of 6 bikes from the ground up from bare frames. Along the way,
> I've learned a lot about bicycle mechanics and solving build and fit
> problems that I've applied to helping others with their bikes. I
> volunteer at our College bike coop and I teach a College class on
> bicycling. I'm lucky that my avocation has, in part become part of my
> vocation. It has been the process of using and working on my bikes
> that has been the important thing for me.
>
> The question is often posed when one thinks about the value of
> consumer goods, "If your house was on fire, and you could only save
> ********, what would it be?" In relation to bikes, my answer is "the
> one closest to the door!" Luckily, most bikes are inherently cheap,
> useful and efficient transportation. Every bike that I'd care to ride
> is an "all-rounder" from that perspective.
>
> Dave
>

> On Sep 7, 10:14 am, RoadieRyan <rya...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Interesting I have always had this dream that goes in the opposite
> > direction, essentially an over sized automatic tie rack but for
> > bikes.  I could press a button an slowly rotate thru the bikes..hmm is
> > today a commuter, cross, IGH townie, light steel Italian racer, or
> > should I just take the Bleriot again?
> >
> > I guess that kind of goes against the simplicty thing huh?
> >
> > On Sep 7, 9:56 am, David Estes <cyclotour...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > And you rode your mountain bike in the mountains yesterday (but with
> slicks
> > > just for kicks)!

> where

> it

> and
> could
> the
> and
> bike.

> call.
> on-hand.
> sell
> see.
> some

> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > > David
> > > Redlands, CA
> >
> > > "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is
> something
> > > wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill
> [...]

Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM
Professional Resumes. Contact resumespecialt...@gmail.com