In my experience, the one-bike-for-everything bike is more in the head
of the bike owner than the bike itself. The reality is that almost
every bike is capable of doing (almost) everything. The issue is
whether or not the cyclist is happy with that level of performance.
You can ride on the road, commute, mt. bike, tour, and more on a
mountain bike. I could ride my all-rounder for everything, though I
may not be able to ride with a group of carbon race bikes, mountain
bike with the FS crowd, or tour with tourists. But I am pretty happy
with the performance of the AR in each category. No matter what bike I
ride, I will never be the fastest, so the improvements in speed from
switching bikes is purely for my own ego.

A central component to a one bike is "making do"-- and that is
something that people seem to have forgotten.

As a side not, I currently have 7 bikes, 4 frames, and 3 unicycles.

Cheers!
cm