Awesome post redsydude

I have a bike that I paid like $160 for off of Ebay and probably wasn't
worth even that, an old early 80s gas pipe Nishiki.  It's what I use when I
need to ride somewhere and lock up a bike.  I keep thinking I will make
some improvements, but then looking at the frame, it's not really worth it.
 So I just fix what breaks or falls off (literally, I have had parts fall
off, like for example the interruptor brake levers) with the cheapest
replacement parts available.  I taco-ed the original front wheel making a
slow left hand turn and replaced it with a $37 front wheel with the
roughest bearings I have ever felt.  It works well enough.

My Rivendell is what I ride everywhere else.  It will never be tamed by a
lock.  You can't compare it to a pos $200 craigslist bike.  It just brings
me way more joy than that.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 8:57 AM, redsydude <thaus...@q.com> wrote:

> I have no advice but here is an anode to your cathode. My whole life I've
> been a $200 bike person.  Last year I owned four of them and I was sick of
> the clutter so I gathered together one groupset of the best parts, sold or
> gave away everything else and bought a new Sam Hillborne frameset.  I
> figure I have 10x$200 in it and consider it a bargain.  I split my time
> between two cities so I'm back on craigslist looking for another $200 bike.
> When I think about the whole craigslist transaction hassle and the time and
> money to get the bike running OK, $200 bikes now seem outrageously
> overpriced to me.
>

> On Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:33:29 AM UTC-7, Emily Hutchinson wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am trying to talk myself into or out of a really pretty new Atlantis
>> with all it's parts. It would be the smaller frame because I'm short and
>> average weight 130. The price tag is somewhere around 4000 all said and
>> done and I feel stuck. My gut is pushing me in both directions because I've
>> never ridden an Atlantis. I'm also out of country and can't just go find
>> one to try. I love touring and I'd love to do some long international and
>> national tours and live in Colorado with hills. Okay thanks.Someone help
>> tip me! Is it irresponsible to spend this much money?
>>
>  --

Keep the metal side up and the rubber side down!