To join in Peter M' s point, Rivendell bikes (particularly the Atlantis)
have excellent resale, at least in the US. So if you decide to sell the
bike later (unlikely) you most likely will get a good part of your
investment back without much difficulty. I think what is at risk is $500 to
$700 and not $4000.