No matter how you fat you are, if you have never had the experience of
comparing doing a climb on a 17 lb carbon bike and 22 + lb full steel
(Rivendell), I suggest you give it a try and then get back to the group
about your opinion of which you prefer. No doubt steel will hold up better
through the millenia and won't crack in crash, but bikes don't crash that
often and why not enjoy the ride in as many ways as you can?

I did 4000 ft in 40 miles yesterday and chose to do it on a Specialized
Roubaix. Oh what fun it is.