I don't think most folks will argue that jamming something in a front fork
is anything other than a serious issue.  That is a reasonably rare
occurrence (thank goodness) and one which most riders would have a
difficult time recovering from.  A better argument could be made for higher
spoke count wheels to prevent things from getting to where they can cause
that, rather than what the fork was made out in this specific instance.
 But that's a conversation way outside this topic, which already on the
edges of the group focus.

The key aspect of any material is how it fails. Aluminum tends to fail
catastrophically.  Carbon fiber tends to fail catastrophically.  Ti less
so.  Steel less so. It's a spectrum of warning and failure nature. There
are  myriad examples and discussions about materials used in bicycles.

For most folks who don't habitually subject their components to detailed
inspection, materials that fail catastrophically are much more problematic.
 Since, honestly, that group includes most people, the argument can always
be made for steel (or ti if you can afford it) being a kinder, more
forgiving material.

With respect to Rivendells, the fact that they were lugged steel has been a
feature I've always loved, but the core strength always comes down to the
nature of the ride and the ability of the bicycle to adapt to the whims and
needs of the riders who own them.  I've raced my Rivs, noodled around
trails, loaded 'em up and run them light.  That's the thing that one by one
none of my other bicycles have been able to really outdo.

- Jim / cyclofiend.com