WETH:

The urban part from Eliza Furnace Trail via the Hot Metal Bridge has only
been open a year or so and is along the Monongahela and then the
Youghiogheny Rivers and I've yet to ride it through although along the
river I'll venture a guess that it's less than railroad grade at its
steepest. I'm guessing the now open connector to Pittsburgh is a pretty
even grade.  Brief exceptions being approaches onto or off of causeways on
the south end of Connellsville. The 18 miles from Connellsville to Ohiopyle
have some short ups and downs as the trail moves between elevations the old
rail grade surely took more gently but land changes since then. The two
bridges right before Ohiopyle sneak up on you as the trail keeps on grade
pretty well and are a nice picturesque reward.

What I find more important than the functional grade of any section of the
trail is the surface. The GAP has by far a better trail bed than the C & O,
this crushed limestone drains rain so well that it doesn't result in a
spectrum of resistance to forward motion and is much nicer to non-fendered
bikes and riders during any downpour and very soon after any rain stops.
The impact of wet weather, even as distant as a week previous, can really
impact forward progress on the west end of the C&O. I've left Pittsburgh
for Ohiopyle on the way to D.C.in a pouring rain without a likely end on
the radar and were not as dramatically impacted in transit time as we
feared. We were prepared for wet and the Yough Plaza Motel (as well as
other place we stopped) has hose and nozzle for drivetrain hygiene.

I cannot overemphasize stopping on a rigid schedule to snack, drink and
take pictures. I encouraged my nephew, then 13, to bring his CamelBak so
there was no shortage of water while on the bike. Our day to Ohiopyle was
72 miles and he, because of our pace of breaks and riding, overcame any
apprehension and finished in good condition with no malady, ache or saddle
sores. He lead the way around the little town to explore all the food
options before picking one.  I have to give a plug to Triangle Bike Rental
in Pittsburgh who put together a a bike starting with a Raleigh Clubman
frame, including bags, to fit him for the trip.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh