A very strong point I think many realize but fail to apply for the benefit
of any riding group. It was the lacking sentiment that sent me to the
trails to find my own biking enjoyment a long time ago. Knowing it is
possible for myself allows me to do keep the riding fun for others. Less
process, more objective than any destination or timetable.

I was a recipient of this valuable lesson in an activity driven by the
ambition and objectives of others at the expense of others making up my
group.

When I was a 14 year old Boy Scout I went to the Philmont Ranch with a
neighborhood troop not my own, I wasn't of the minimum age when mine took
their alternating year trip the summer before. They had an ambitious
itinerary picked by the adults that did it all. We also carried everything
for our trip after day two over those miles including water into the dry
camps. We had many 20+ mile days and often arrived at the destination sites
where topical programming was a highlight, too late for those activities,
hurrying to put up our tents and boil our water for dinner before it was
dark.

Not a happy crew at all and I remember getting to know everyone  more as
our afternoons turned into "death marches" against the remaining miles and
sunset, redirecting their anger over missing out on a mine tour or chuck
wagon dinner program and looking at how much more countryside we were
seeing, how much change we saw in each day's hiking and how others will
stare in disbelief when they would tell their stories about that trip.

I never expect others to learn through suffering, certainly not about
something that should be enjoyed. If it's your own gift to do so,
appreciate your patience, perseverance, and insight, never assume it of
others. It's just good manners to show others the good stuff.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh