All Quiet on the West Coast Front.

I use salmon Kool Stops and don't toe in excessively.  Still running the
Shimano canti's which came with it.  I have a slightly non-standard stem
mount for the brake stop.

(last photo here
- http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg/2006/ssg017-cyclofiend0206.html )

If it's brake squeal rather than shudder, then I don't know if it can be
addressed by changing the brake stop - there have been a number of
discussions (mostly in CX threads) about flexing cable stop mounts causing
unwanted shudder under hard braking.

I'd pop a different front wheel in there, just to see if it's related to
the rim.  Especially if you are getting the same results from different
brake models.

I ran some Avids on a CX bike, and do recall them being noisier - maybe
something in the mount causing them to flex away - essentially undoing the
toe-in - as you are moving.

Any chance that the brake mounting bolts are bottoming out before they
completely tighten the brake?  You should be able to detect fore/aft play
in the brake if that's the case.

The other thing to do is find a shop who has the Wrench (mechanic) who
knows how to deal with canti brake setup.  Most don't.  Pay to watch them
work on it and ask some questions.

Sorry not to have a great, all-encompassing answer for you...

- Jim