There are a number of things that contribute to brakes feeling firm versus
squishy.  I'd say the order would be something like:

1. Pad alignment/centering.  Pads that don't hit the rim squarely and don't
contact the rim at the same time will feel squishy.  Ideally, pads should
be setup perfectly square for optimum feel, but if there is persistent
squeal, sometimes they require toe-in, which sacrifices firmness somewhat,
since you will be flexing the brake pads to achieve full contact.

2. Brake system mechanical advantage.  On cantilever brakes, the other big
determining factor for mechanical advantage is straddle cable length (i.e.
height of the straddle hanger).  It's a complex subject, Sheldon wrote a
whole page on it, but the short answer is that the shorter the straddle
cable, i.e. the closer the hanger is to the tire, the more mechanical
advantage you have, thus shorter brake pad travel but higher force exerted
after rim contact for a given lever pull.  Longer straddle, higher hanger
gives lower mechanical advantage, meaning that the brake pads will travel
farther for a given lever stroke (so you can set them farther from the
rim), but will exert less force for a given pull.  The slightly hard part
to wrap your head around is that there is an inverse relationship between
firmness at the lever and mechanical advantage, i.e. lower mechanical
advantage actually feels firmer, but you will have to pull harder on the
lever to achieve the same braking force.

Of course, there are other factors that limit straddle cable height, such
as tire, fender, and rack clearance under the cable, and adequate clearance
above the straddle hanger for the cable to travel without the hanger
hitting the housing stop.  Furthermore, overall mechanical advantage is
also determined by the leverage ratios of the brake arms themselves and the
brake levers themselves.  To answer your question specifically, there might
be a small difference between aero and non-aero levers here, but in theory
they should be pretty close.  My usual practice is to set the straddle
cable as short as is feasible while still providing proper clearance, but
I've also come to prefer the firmer feel of systems with lower mechanical
advantage (I've got relatively strong hands), at least on road and
all-rounder bikes.

3. Stiffness of brake arms/levers/frame or fork.  Flex in any of these
places is going to make things feel squishy.  A lot of times, this is where
you can feel the difference between lower-quality components and higher
quality ones.  Old non-aero levers often feel squishy because they aren't
as stiff as more modern aero levers.  In a frame, flex may be desirable for
other reasons unrelated to braking, but when it comes to braking components
I like stiffness.