Patrick,

My riding is similar to yours but at shorter distances (I think you made
the same observation in a thread I started) and I finally decided that I am
incapable of long and steady riding.  As you said, "pushing it" is a very
relative term but it's how I ride and how I've always ridden.

Back in the mid-90's, when I bought my first bike, I got the road bug and
bought a Raleigh road bike.  I rode it for maybe six months with the
longest ride being 19.x miles.  I quickly learned that road bike riding
isn't for me and sold it.  I do have a long-term goal of riding 20 miles,
just to beat that 1995 ride but after that, I'm not worried about distance.
 At one time I wanted to train for a century but I think the misery of
doing it isn't enough to justify the pride in having the achievement.  I'll
just continue to zip around my neighborhood and generally act like a kid on
a bike.  Besides, I think it's better for me than long and slow....more
like interval training.