Gunnar - that Mercian is gorgeous!  Did you just get a second one?  What is
that twisting shifter?

I rode my'82 531 Trek daily next to the Atlantis most of last year... Very
different bikes all around.  Unfortunately I've got it disassembled right now
so I can't provide a comparison to my Saluki. But in general the trek rides
great, the 650b conversion and hetre's definitely made the front end a bit
tender but the frame 'give' was noticeable in comparison to the Atlantis. And
that was a pleasant experience, each stroke seemed to propel MD further than on
the Atlantis.

Right now I'm alternating daily between the Saluki and my XO-3,  the XO
handling is dominated by its smaller wheel size (very nimble), fatter tires
(50cm big apples = cush) and SS drive train so I find it hard to do any frame
to frame comparisons.  The Saluki just feels buttery smooth at all times. Both
bikes are very predictable, neutral handling rides. I wonder if the build kit
was identical and I was blindfolded if I'd be able to tell the difference from
riding around the block (hard to do blindfolded!).  I'd certainly like to think
so... But I think I'd notice the wheel size before anything else.

Seems to me that many of the underlying design philosophies that contribute to
the modern Riv's are a highlight reel of older steel bike traits that worked
well...

Tony