I agree that if you have to walk significant distances, you'd lose more
than you gain on the parts. However, even Ira on his 38 mm tires didn't
walk, except one steep climb to preserve his legs. I walked a few more of
the really steep rollers toward the end, but it was a concern for my knees,
not tire width, that forced me off the bike. Wider tires would have been a
little faster on the really sandy parts, but probably not much...

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly