I have to say I'm amazed by how well Jan's Compass tires float over the
loose stuff and track better through it than I would have guessed based on
my experience with the wider Schwalbe Duremes. No doubt that simply reveals
my ignorance -- but I'm learning. Supple tires make a big difference in
both speed and ride quality/grip/tracking/floating. Do they have their
limits? Absolutely. I found them riding single track. Roots, loose gravel
on narrow steep descending track with curves and turns, I was not as
comfortable as with my 2.25" Smart Sams (on the Hunqapillar) or 38mm MSO's
on the Quickbeam. But depending on the ride, I would still ride that
section with the 38mm Barlows so I could ride the balance of the ride on
them too.

But Anne, it's not about what I'm comfortable with, or Jan, or anyone but
you. Go with what works for you and enjoy the ride!

With abandon,
Patrick