I think a good rule of thumb when checking out shops is to see if you can
find out what kind of bikes the shop mechanics ride.  My LBS has a fairly
broad range of stuff on the floor and has been in business for 40 years.
 They are also a Gunnar dealer in part because of me using them when I
ordered a crosshairs.  But typically the shop mechanics all ride some nice
steel rigs, even when there is carbon stuff all over the shop.

I feel for a customer trying to come back to cycling after years away and
only seeing bicycle examples from the popular media.  I like the "show them
some photos" option to choose what kind of cyclist they want to be.  A lot
of this kind of thing is about perception and image.  Frankly, I'm not sure
that getting this type of a customer on a Hunqa is really any better.
 There is a bit of expectation that a Riv rider knows how a bike works
mechanically or at least some basic bike terminology (not that we are all
master mechanics).  A lot of people just want a hop on and go bike and
there is a perception in this group it seems that a Betty Foy with a Riv
build is about as beautiful and simple to understand as can be.  That's not
necessarily true.

10-12 years ago when my mom was asking about getting a new bike after
she/we had commuterized my old 90s Specialized Rockhopper for her.  She was
riding that pretty regularly and enjoying it.  I told her if she wanted to
get a new bike she ought to look at Riv and suggested that it would
ultimately be better to get an Atlantis and I suggested that even though it
was expensive, it would be "the last bike she ever needed to buy."   She
loves her Atlantis but I don't think she has ever felt super comfortable
with it mechanically.  The love she has for it has more to do with the
people on the street that know what it is and "gush" over it.  I think she
puts more miles on the Rockhopper still.  When she and my dad bought a
condo in AZ she wanted a bike there and bought a Bianchi Milano.  A simple
point and go bike.

I've always felt a little bad about pressuring her into a Riv.  Granted, I
perhaps assumed that she would be more curious about parts and basic
mechanical understanding and that never happened.  She really just wants to
hop on a bike and not think particularly about it.  That seems like a Riv
at first blush but not for everybody.

On the other hand, she only rides Brooks saddles now, no matter what bike
she is on. :)

two cents

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology
<http://www.washoecountyschools.org/aact/>

*“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”*

Educator: Professional Portfolio <http://addisonwilhite.blogspot.com/>

Blogger: Reno Rambler <http://reno-rambler.blogspot.com/>

Bicycle Advocate: Regional Transportation Commission, Bicycle Pedestrian
Advisory Committee
<http://www.rtcwashoe.com/public-transportation-22-124.html>